Saturday, July 12, 2008

I know my breath stink, bitch, back up!

What with the internets and everything nowadays, it's can be tempting to amass a ridiculous amount of music and you can track down pretty much anything, making those once highly coveted singles available to everybody. Obviously I wouldn't complain about that, but amid all the collecting and compiling, some gems get lost, overlooked or just forgotten.

So today I'm calling on you groupies, fans, well-wishers and so-called contributors to take a sec and think back: What are some of your favorites that you think we might've lost, overlooked or forgotten?


1. King Tee & Phil Da Agony - Back Up (Joey Chavez Mix)

I gotta point out that this is the original track, beat by Joey Chavez & cuts by Babu, not the uncharacteristically wack Creators remix. Not really a song that makes you think, but with these guys it's all about delivery.






2. Natural Elements - Tri-Boro

This version is from the mix cd DJ Eclipse of Non-Phixion fame did in'98, so there are some cuts on it. When these guys get good beats they always rip it...and this one's fiyyaaahhhhhh!!! Well, not really but it is good; I think DJ Honda used the same sample on 'Real To Me'. The only other place the song appeared was on a single with a couple other tracks from this mix; it's one of the few songs that I've never been able to find.



3. All Natural - Stellar

One year I was asked what I wanted for Christmas and I asked for Natural Elements or Natural Resource records. You see, Ottawa wasn't exactly a hotbed for underground hip-hop, and the internet wasn't the bootlegging heaven that it is now, so my sister, coming from Chicago, was my only hope. When I opened my record-shaped present and found All Natural, I instantly assumed she got the name wrong and brought me some generic garbage. Then she told me that her friend had recommended them, but I remained skeptical until I had a chance to listen...hahaha...that doesn't sound like me.


4. Mau Maus - Blak Iz Blak

If you're not one of the 14 people that saw 'Bamboozled', you probably missed this one. Mau Maus is Mos Def, Canibus, Charli Baltimore, Gano "God-shoved-a-pool-cue-in-my-ass" Grills, Mums and MC Serch.




5. Aceyalone, Self Jupiter & P.E.A.C.E. - When The Sun Too A Day Off

I love the eerie vibe...like when you shut off the lights on one side of the room then have to run to the door on the other side before the monsters get you.

1 comment:

courtney said...

yeah, your sister isn't completely clueless.
xx